Tuesday, January 17, 2012

In Which I Discover E.Z.

Here I am, 48 years old, and I've never cracked a book by Elizabeth Zimmerman, the grande dame of American Knitting. Can you believe it?

So I finally decided to remedy this. Went to the library and ordered up every single EZ-authored tome I could find in the catalog (and in this quest, the interlibrary loan is your friend!!). I've been reading them as they come in.

Turns out, we are soul-sisters. Who'd've thought? She doesn't write patterns, she writes "recipes". Mostly for things other than socks, admittedly, and some of the objects she proposes I am pretty sure I will never knit. But I have been set afire by her sweater "designs". In fact, so inflamed am I that I have started a sweater! It's true! For the first time in over a decade I am knitting a zippered cardigan for my 16 year old son! Seamless, of course!

I am anticipating the following battles, or rather, opportunities for learning:
1. fit (gauge and blocking),
2. sweater bands,
3. steeking,
4. inserting a zipper.

So, you'll have to be a bit patient with me, since a sweater is a Big Project, and one that Must Fit. So I am taking a bit of a break from the socks, is what I'm sayin'.

But, I notice that E.Z. does have some pretty interesting sock patterns as well...

No comments:

Post a Comment